Quote of the Day

"Oh dad...you taught me everything I know about exterior illumination." - Clark Griswold, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Delicious Pumpkin Soup

Taking as much advantage of the local farmers market and my new kitchen as I can, I've found myself making a different soup almost every weekend. This week I made pumpkin soup again.

If you want to try it out yourself you will need:
Healthier than a bowl of marshmallow fluff.
  • 1 or 2 pie pumpkins, gutted, roasted, skinned and diced
  • 2 honeycrisp apples, skinned and diced
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 32 ounces of chicken stock
  • 2 ounces of whiskey
  • 6 ounces of heavy whipping cream
  • ground nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar 
  • some butter
Unrelated, bacon wrapped deep fried tater-tots on a stick.
Yay Wisconsin.




NOTE FROM THE COOK:  
Honestly, normal Halloweenesque-carving-type pumpkins will work just fine, too. For a healthier soup try half & half instead of cream or substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock and go full vegetarian. Both stocks are around the same in cost, but be warned -- half & half or other low fat milks yield a slightly thinner soup.








Below is a poorly shot and shoddily produced video I nonchalantly threw together while I whipped up this soup on Sunday. I hope it helps; it's not incredibly safe if your workplace is sensitive to mild swearing and Jerry Reed tunes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment